One of the most difficult parts of traveling is deciding what to pack for your trip. At The Lofts at The Five and Dime, we try to make traveling as easy as possible, so we’ve put together this little guide of what to pack for your trip to Clarksdale.
First off, it might be helpful if we told you what not to pack. There are many items provided in our Lofts, so we can help you save some room in your luggage.
What not to pack:
- Hair Dryer
- Shampoo, Conditioner & soap
- Laundry detergent
- Dishwashing detergent
- Dishes, cookware, utensils, etc.
- Paper products
- Iron + ironing board
Now that we’ve covered what you won’t need while staying at our Lofts, let’s talk about what you do need to pack.
- Clothes for different temperatures – Clarksdale has a tendency to range in temperature and weather conditions fairly quickly at many times during the year. Pack clothes you can layer! However, if you are coming during the summer months, ignore this advice and enjoy the sunshine and heat. All of that being said, don’t feel the need to overpack. The Lofts all have their own washer + dryer, so you can easily do laundry and not worry about carrying around all of your dirty clothes!
- Walking Shoes – The Lofts are in a very central location that is within walking distance of many points of interest. While the distances are not too far, you might walk everywhere during the day. Walk down to the museum, take one of our multiple free walking tours, head down the street for a meal, and catch some live music a block or two away!
- Lawn chairs – While this is definitely not a necessity and is only an option for those traveling by car, it’s one of those “nice to have” items. Clarksdale has live music every night of the year, but there are many opportunities for daytime music as well. Many musicians will set up outside, so a lawn chair can come in handy on these occasions.
- Cash – It seems that everywhere is moving toward cashless payment options. It’s true, the majority of establishments in Clarksdale will take cashless payments, but there are a few that are still cash only. Also, let’s not forget about our hardworking musicians! Many are playing for tips, so please come prepared to support them.
- Bug Spray – This applies mostly to those visiting in summer, but we highly suggest it for all visitors. Whether you are walking around downtown or taking a river trip on the Mississippi, those mosquitos can be ruthless. Most days, this isn’t a big problem, but It’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Tennis racket and/or golf clubs – No, the Lofts haven’t suddenly acquired a Country Club, but there are public tennis courts about a half a mile down the road, as well as a public golf course across town.
- Your appetite! We are in no shortage of good food around here! Come hungry and ready to try all kinds of delicious dishes.
When it comes to what to pack while visiting Clarksdale, this is, by no means, a complete guide. Hopefully, this gives you a general idea of what we already have provided for our guests, as well as some items you might not have thought about while planning. If you have any questions about what to pack for specific circumstances, times of year, activities, etc., please feel free to contact us directly. We’d be happy to give you our suggestions.